I read, and I eat. This is a blog about what I consume.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tomato Garlic Focaccia Bread

For the past few months I've been obsessed with the idea of making my own bread. Wait...I need to go back a little bit. Give you some background, so that when I share this recipe, story, picture, etc, you can relish in the success with me.

Shortly after we started dating, Clint and I began to bond over our many similar interests--board games, laughing, 1/2 off margaritas, and food. Yeah, we had other stuff in common too, but finding someone who enjoys food as much as I do, probably would have been enough incentive to continue seeing him, even if that was the only thing we had in common. Thankfully it wasn't. As our relationship got more serious I started teaching him how to cook. Now, I don't claim to be an expert, but what knowledge I had, I began to share with him. Eventually, we began to learn new techniques, recipes, and flavors together. Shortly before we got engaged, we began to really fall in love with good bread. None of that nonsense that comes in a plastic sleeve, but good, fresh, specialty bread. (I blame the Brookshire's around the corner and their excellent bakery) Around that time I became enthralled with the idea of making my own bread. I think it's the ubiquitous nature of bread itself--the fact that it a constant in every major culture in the world--that made baking my own bread so compelling. I felt like I would be joining a tradition, a heritage of turning sustenance into genuine comfort using a few meager ingredients.

Well, we registered for a Cuisinart Bread Maker when we got engaged, and Clint's parents gave us that bread maker for one of our first wedding presents. Since then we've put it to good use. Seriously, I don't think we've bought sliced bread since we've been married. But over the last few months I've become increasingly intrigued with the idea of making my own, free form, hand-kneaded bread. Up until a recent trip to Birmingham to see Stephen and Jenny (Clint's bro & sis-in-law), this whole idea was still just a pipe dream. I figured there was no way that I had time to undertake learning the ins and outs of bread making while working full time, taking classes for my M.A.T., and spending time with the boy and the pup. But on that trip I found a simple, straight forward cook book called 100 Great Breads by Paul Hollywood. It is currently my favorite book in the world, shoving Ender's Game, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall out of the winner's circle.

While I'm sure that they'll soon find their way back into that circle, I'm loving spending time diving into this new culinary adventure. I'll admit now, my first two attempts were less than shining successes. Bread #1, a Cottage Loaf--which Clint lovingly renamed the bread tower--had some structural issues and, though it tasted good, looked a bit like it was constructed by a toddler working with building blocks.

Potato Focaccia--We had some texture issues here!
Bread #2, a Potato Focaccia Pugliese, though beautiful, had a certain toothiness (read serious crunchiness--to the point of downright hard tack) to it that didn't encourage sauce-sopping or buttering, two absolutely necessary qualities for any good bread in my book.

But, bread #3--Paul Hollywood's Focaccia Pugliese with Tomatoes and Garlic was an overwhelming success. As I was following the recipe, I became a bit braver and more adventurous, and thus, created my own version of his recipe, which I am sharing with you here. If you're interested in beginning to get into making your own bread, this one is a great starter. It doesn't take days to make, and you don't have to worry about it falling because it is a focaccia, so it shouldn't be that big to begin with. I am beyond excited about this and I hope you will be too!

Tomato Garlic Focaccia Bread

The Ingredients
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/3 cup olive oil
Scant 4 cups flour
1 TBSP salt
1 Package instant dry yeast
1/2 C warm (approaching hot) water
salt water made with 1 TBSP salt & 1/3 C warm water
1 1/2 Roma Tomatoes, thinly sliced
Fresh Basil (I didn't have fresh so I used dry, but fresh would be even better)

The Equipment
Large mixing bowl
Baking sheet--I use my Pampered Chef baking stone
Rolling Pin
Knife/Cutting board

The Process
Before baking
Hollywood's recipe calls for the garlic to be crushed, put in the oil and left to infuse overnight, I changed this up a bit because really, who has that kind of forethought?
1. Put crushed garlic in oil and heat on low (2-3) for several minutes until the oil becomes very fragrant--you're infusing the oil w/the garlic flavor.
2. Pull the oil from the heat, remove garlic carefully (saving cloves--go ahead and chop them very finely), let oil cool until warm enough to touch without burning.
3. Combine flour, salt, yeast, (when putting salt and yeast in--put yeast in one side of flour and salt on the other because salt kills the yeast) half the oil, and all water (not the salt water) in a large bowl.
4. Using your hands, try to grab the flour and bring as much of it into contact with the water as possible, mixing thoroughly with your hand for approximately four minutes. Your hand will probably be sore if you're doing this right.
5. Once the dough is well mixed and consistent, tip onto a lightly-floured counter or large cutting board and knead for 6 minutes. To knead: flatten slightly with your hand, pull one quarter of the dough out away from the center and then fold back down toward center. Use the heel of your palm to press the dough firmly back into the center. Turn the dough about a 1/4 turn, then repeat. You want the dough to be stretching without tearing before you finish.
6. Put down ball back in bowl and let rest for an hour.
7. Tip dough onto lightly-floured counter, and roll out in a rectangle to about an inch thick.
8. Use your fingers to sprinkle the salt water over the top of the dough, then brush the dough with the remaining oil.
The finished product
9. Use a sharp knife to prick the top of the dough all over, press the tomato slices firmly into the dough, sprinkle with basil, and top with the chopped garlic that has essentially been fried in the infused oil.
10. Put the dough on a lined baking sheet or bare stone and let rest for 25 minutes. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 425 degrees when you finish with the dough so that it's ready when the dough is.
11. Cook the loaf for 25 minutes, turn the sheet/stone in the oven, and cook for another 2 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and put loaf on wire rack to cool.
13. ENJOY!

Pickles approved of it too.
I really think this is the best bread--with or without the bread maker--that I've ever made. I hope you guys like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment