I read, and I eat. This is a blog about what I consume.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Texan Seasoning Salt

 Being in Louisiana, we buy and use Tony Chachere's (Sash-er-y's) Creole Seasoning quite frequently. I love that garlic-y, peppery flavor that food takes on when this salt is employed. That said, occasionally, a Texas girl is  in need of a different flavor to wake up her palate. Because of this (and because I get to go home way less frequently than I would like), I began to consider trying my hand at making my own seasoning salt that would feature some of the more common spices and flavors prevalent in the Great State. About 5 months ago I stumbled upon a recipe in The Cheese Lover's Cookbook & Guide by Paula Lambert. If you're unfamiliar with this book, Lambert is the founder and owner of the Mozzarella Company in Dallas, Texas. Her book, which I found at The Cook's Nook--for all kids from the View (Longview that is)--is full of sweet, savory, salty, creamy recipes for cooking with cheese. It also includes recipes for making your own cheese, something I fully intend to do, but have yet to have the courage to attempt.

As I was perusing the book I found a section called "Basic Recipes" that included a seasoning salt recipe that she claims that she has been using "forever." After examining the ingredients, I decided that this recipe could be just the thing to bring a taste of home down I-20 and into Monroe, LA. I first made a batch up in October of 2010. After using it a few times, I decided to include it as part of my Christmas gift basket for family members. While I don't know if all of the recipients have used the salt, I feel certain that just a few uses will ensure that this seasoning salt will be a staple in your pantry. I store mine in an airtight Tupperware container in the cabinet beside the stove for easy access. Her recipe, which I've changed ever so slightly, is quite large, so I usually halve it for our personal use. But if you're making it for gifting, a full recipe can comfortably fill 4 half-pint mason jars.

Texas Seasoning Salt

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups Salt--I use Morton's
1 1/4 cups Kosher Salt
6 tablespoons of black pepper
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup chili powder

The Process
Be sure to use fresh spices from the store because they have much more flavor, and they'll last longer once mixed together. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well using a whisk. There is a lot of pepper and other strong spices in the mix, so be careful not to sneeze. Once mixed well, store in an airtight container. The mix should last for about a year. 

If you're wondering what you would use this for--it's an excellent base seasoning for chili, pot roast, taco meat, hamburgers, etc. In fact, I use it for seasoning chicken breasts that are going to be sauteed (for wraps or a light meal with rice), as well as seasoning meat for any kind of casserole. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure how I missed this post, but I'm glad I stumbled upon it today. The Texas seasoning mix sounds wonderful. I like the mason jars as gifts idea, too!! I just only wish I lived closer to you so I could just taste test all your food adventures. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I wish you guys lived closer too! I use this salt on pretty much anything/everything, including those veggies on my pork tenderloin post. And the mix of chili, garlic, and onion powder really does remind me of Texas.

    ReplyDelete